Rehabilitation is the key to helping employees return to work, studies show:
- After 6 months absence there is only a 50% chance that the employee will return to work
- At 12 months this falls to 25%
- After 2 years there is practically no chance that the employee will return to work
According to the HSE, the risk factors for musculo-skeletal disorders can be found in virtually every workplace. Hazardous activities include:
- Repetitive and heavy lifting
- Bending and twisting
- Inappropriate working position
- Not acting upon reports of symptoms quick enough
- Working too long without breaks
The Fit for Work Europe report, found that 49% of all European sickness absences were caused by musculo-skeletal conditions like back pain, arthritis and repetitive strain injuries.
The report showed an estimated one million people in the UK suffer from musculoskeletal disorders, causing 9.5 million working days to be lost each year.